The Night by Hilaire Belloc



The Night


Author: Hilaire Belloc





Still a mystery,
I can’t figure out;
Race home from work,
Where life is without.

*****

I race to see you,
And hold you to me;
My mind says you’re there,
And my heart won’t see.

*****

I open the door,
It’s still a surprise:
You’re not there,
And tears fill my eyes.

*****

I need someone,
Or call on the phone;
But nothing breaks the silence,
Of these walls made of stone.

*****

I punish myself,
By refusing to eat:
Depression is silent,
I hear my heart beat.

*****

Where can I go,
Or should I stay:
Shy to choose,
In bed I lay.

*****

Time will pass,
And the dark sets in;
Laying there wishing,
I could still touch your skin.

*****

Lying there hurting,
I wish I could die;
Missing you so much,
Again I start to cry.

*****

Sometimes I wonder,
If you even know;
The way that I need you,
Would you still go.

*****

I can’t sleep now,
Again a long night;
Are you this lonely,
Do you share in my fright.

*****



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...